The Senate on Wednesday approved N11.3 billion (11,352,457,101.70) as the budget of the Nigeria Police Trust Fund (NPTF) for the 2020 fiscal year.
About N1.3 billion (1,362,814,243) of the amount was allocated for the procurement of teargas. About N1 billion was allocated for the procurement of arms and ammunition.
The approval was a sequel to the consideration and adoption of the harmonised report of the Senate and House of Representatives Committee on Police Affairs. The Chairman of the Senate Committee on Police Affairs, Haliru Jika, presented the report.
See the breakdown of the budget below:
* Provision of specialised/operational vehicle double cabinet-pick-up van for patrol – N7,600,000,000
* Procurement of arms and ammunitions – N1,000,000,000
* Procurement of personnel protective gear (bullet proof vest and helmet) – N469,338,550
* Procurement of riot control equipment (teargas) – N1,362,814,243
* Provision of COVID-19 protection kit for police personnel – N358,379,191
* Supply of drugs and medical equipment for police hospitals – N533,894,117
* Office furniture and equipment – N29,031,000