End SARS: What Led To Violence During Protest – Lai Mohammed Reveals

Lai Mohammed, the Minister of Information and Culture, on Friday, said the violence that resulted from the hijack of the End SARS protest in Nigeria was caused by fake news and disinformation.

Mohammed said this during a stakeholders’ meeting with members of the Broadcasting Organisation of Nigeria (BON) in Abuja.

He explained that fake news and disinformation spread like wildfire on social media during the End SARS protests, thereby leading to killings and vandalism in different states across Nigeria.

We recalls that violence, looting and destruction occurred in the wake of the End SARS protest across Nigeria as some hoodlums attacked protesters who had been demanding an end to police brutality in Lagos State.

Also, recall that armed thugs had attacked peaceful protesters in Abuja.

“The violence that resulted from the hijack of the End SARS protest was catalyzed by fake news and disinformation, which spread like wildfire on social media,” Mohammed said.

“And this didn’t come to us as a surprise. As far back as 2017, we had been raising the alarm on the risks posed by fake news and disinformation.

“That year, we devoted the National Council on Information to the issue of fake news, hate speech and disinformation. The following year, in 2018, we launched the national campaign against fake news and disinformation, partnering with a number of print and electronic media organizations.”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s