Dennis Amakiri, a former Deputy Director of the Department of State Services (DSS), has said that Governor Babagana Zulum of Borno State was actually warned against embarking on the recent trip that led to the attack on his convoy by Boko Haram terrorists.
Amakiri said the Governor ignored the intelligence report and felt he could go on with the trip.
The former DSS chief said this during a special programme on Channels Television to mark Nigeria’s independence anniversary on Thursday, October 1, 2020.
“The Governor of Borno State was given the intelligence that this road is not safe, he felt he could go.
“And being the Chief Executive, he ventured out. He was attacked twice. I hope he will not go again because at least they continue telling him, managing him to make sure that he keeps himself safe.”
According to him, before Very Important Persons move, there are certain procedures to be carried.
The ex-DSS boss said that the public figures are exposed to danger if such procedures are not met.
DAILY POST reported that late last month, a convoy conveying officials of Governor Zulum was attacked near Monguno town by terrorists, killing at least 11 security operatives among others.
In his reaction, President Muhammadu Buhari had described the ambush on the entourage of Zulum as orchestrated sabotage against the long planned return of displaced persons to their local communities.